Teriyaki Pork & Pineapple Stars with Coconut Rice
Write a review
- 500g pork mince
- 1 medium courgette
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2cm grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pineapple
- 250g UNCLE BEN’S® Basmati rice
- 100mls water
- 400mls coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons Hoi Sin (Chinese BBQ sauce)
- Steamed Edamame Beans or Peas.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / Gas 5.
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper.
- Let’s make the marinade - Measure and pour 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce into a large bowl. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Get an adult to cut a 2cm piece of ginger. Peel the ginger with a spoon. Grate the ginger into the bowl. Peel and grate the garlic too.
- Wash the courgette. Grate onto a tea-towel. Squeeze all the water out of the courgette into the bowl. (You do not use this water - just the courgette that is left.) Put this grated courgette into a bowl.
- Add the pork mince into the bowl with the marinade
- Now for the messy part; first, dip your hands in cold water. Using your cold wet hands, begin to squish and squeeze all the minced pork pork together until all the sauce disappears.
- Now for the fun part - Using cold wet hands, pick up a small piece of mixture and roll. Shape into mini balls and pop on the tray to bake in the oven.
- Get an adult to pop them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Now for Mr. Pineapple - Cut off the top & bottom. Get an adult to cut off all the skin. Then cut down into long, big rectangle pieces. Using a star shape cutter cut out the pineapple star. Continue until all completed.
- For the Coconut Rice - Pour the coconut milk and water in the bottom of the saucepan.
- Pour in the rice - bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 mins. Turn off the heat and with the lid on allow to steam for another 20 mins.
- When the meatballs are cooked, take out of the oven using oven gloves and allow them to cool a little on a tray.
- Pour 5 tablespoons of hoi sin sauce into a clean bowl. Toss the meatballs into the sauce.
- To serve - Using cocktail sticks first pop a pineapple star on, then the meatball on top. Serve this with a bowl of coconut rice and some edamame beans or peas.
- 1. Serving a small portion of vegetables on the side is a great way to introduce new foods. Edamame beans have a sweet, nutty flavour and are delicious.
- 2. Pineapple adds natural sweetness, colour and fun.
- 3. Squeeze the water out of the courgette through a tea towel before adding to the mince.
- 4. Using the parchment paper on the oven tray saves on the wash up
Uncle Ben's Let's Get Kids Cooking https://www.bensbeginners.ie/