Cheesy Salmon and Broccoli Croquettes
Write a review
- 1 packet UNCLE BEN’S® wholegrain & Quinoa Express rice
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour + 25g extra plain flour for rolling
- 200 mls cold milk
- 200g fresh salmon fillet - skinned and boned
- 50g broccoli
- 50g sweetcorn
- 100g cheddar cheese
- 40g breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Seasoning optional
Lemon & Dill Dressing
- 3 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Place the salmon onto a chopping board. Using a knife, carefully cut the salmon into 4 long strips lengthwise. Then cut each strip into small cubes.
- Cut the broccoli into very small pieces.
- Then grate the cheddar cheese.
- To make the béchamel sauce: Place the butter in a saucepan and melt over a low heat. (Be careful not to over heat it or the butter will go brown). When all the butter is melted add in 25g of flour. Stir with a wooden spoon for two minutes over a low heat. (It should begin to look a little like sand). Pour in 1/4 of the milk into the flour mix and stir together until all the milk is incorporated. Then add in another 1/4 and continue to stir. Now using a balloon whisk, add in all the remaining milk and whisk until there are no lumps and the mixture is smooth and shiny. If using seasoning add it in at this stage, a small amount is recommended.
- While the béchamel sauce is hot, add in the salmon and broccoli. Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes until the salmon is cooked, stirring occasionally. Take out a piece of salmon with a spoon to check that it is cooked through. The salmon should be a light pink the whole way through and if pushed with a fork should flake easily. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the grated cheese, sweetcorn, breadcrumbs and UNCLE BEN’S® Wholegrain & Quinoa Express rice. Place the mixture on a flat tray, cover with cling film and allow to cool completely. The colder the mixture the easier they are to roll. Once cold divide the mixture into 16 equal portions. Carefully roll into thick sausage shapes. Then roll each one in 25g of plain flour.
- Place the sunflower oil into a large non-stick frying pan and heat for 1 minute on medium heat. Cook the croquettes in two batches. Using a tongs, gently place the croquettes one at a time into the frying pan. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until golden brown and then turn each croquette over. Continue to turn them until all the croquettes are a light golden brown. Once cooked, place the croquettes on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil.
- For the dressing - cut the dill with a pair of scissors. In a mixing bowl, stir together the dill, lemon zest, yoghurt and mayonnaise. Place into a small bowl to serve.
- Serve the croquettes with some salad leaves, cucumber sticks, cooked sweetcorn and the dressing.
Uncle Ben's Let's Get Kids Cooking https://www.bensbeginners.ie/